The NISO Information Discovery & Interchange Topic Committee was renewed by the NISO Board of Directors in June 2017 (and was originally formed as the Discovery to Delivery Topic Committee in early 2007 in response to a strategic restructuring). As part of NISO's organizational structure, topic committees that bring together leaders in specific subjects have been created to provide direction to the organization for standards development in those umbrella topic areas. The Discovery & Interchange Topic Committee focuses on issues regarding the finding and distribution of information by and to users, including indexed discovery services, linked data, OpenURL, interface design, web services, etc.
The topic committee is charged with the following tasks:
- Track standards development within NISO and in other standards organizations related to the topic.
- Identify where new standards may provide solutions in their specific area.
- Convene Thought Leader meetings to incubate new standards activities.
- Create and provide guidance and oversight to standards working groups under their purview.
- Manage the five-year reaffirmation process for approved standards.
- The work of this group is complemented by NISO's Information Policy & Analysis Topic Committee, Information Creation & Curation Topic Committee, and Architecture Committee.
- Published in February 2015: D2D-commissioned white paper on The Future of Library Resource Discovery, written by Marshall Breeding
The following NISO standards and recommended practices fall under the Information Discovery & Interchange Topic Committee.
- Flexible API STandard for E-content NISO (FASTEN) Working Group
- KBART (Knowledge Base And Related Tools) Standing Committee
- NCIP (NISO Circulation Interchange Protocol) Standing Committee
- ODI (Open Discovery Initiative) Standing Committee
- ResourceSync Standing Committee (NISO/OAI)
- (SIP) Standard Interchange Protocol Working Group
Standards and Recommended Practices:
- ANSI/NISO Z39.50-2003 (S2014), Information Retrieval : Application Service Definition & Protocol Specification
- ANSI/NISO Z39.74-1996 (R2012), Guides to Accompany Microform Sets
- ANSI/NISO Z39.83-1-2012, NISO Circulation Interchange - Part 1: Protocol (NCIP)
- ANSI/NISO Z39.83-2-2012, NISO Circulation Interchange Protocol (NCIP) Part 2: Implementation Profile 1
- ANSI/NISO Z39.88-2004 (R2010), The OpenURL Framework for Context-Sensitive Services
- ANSI/NISO Z39.89-2003 (S2014), The U.S. National Z39.50 Profile for Library Applications
- ANSI/NISO Z39.92-200x Information Retrieval Service Description Specification (DSFTU)
- NISO RP-2005-01, Ranking of Authentication and Access Methods Available to the Metasearch Environment
- NISO RP-2005-02, Search and Retrieval Results Set Metadata
- NISO RP-2005-03, Search and Retrieval Citation Level Data Elements
- NISO RP-2006-01, Best Practices for Designing Web Services in the Library Context
- NISO RP-2006-02, NISO Metasearch XML Gateway Implementers Guide
- NISO RP-11-2011, ESPReSSO: Establishing Suggested Practices Regarding Single Sign-On
- NISO RP-12-2012 Physical Delivery of Library Resources
- NISO RP-19-2014, Open Discovery Initiative: Promoting Transparency in Discovery
- NISO RP-21-2013, Improving OpenURLs Through Analytics (IOTA): Recommendations for Link Resolver Providers
- NISO TR-05-2013, IOTA Working Group Summary of Activities and Outcomes
- NISO RP-22-2015, Access License and Indicators
- Access & License Indicators Working Group
- IOTA (Improving OpenURL Through Analytics) Working Group
- Metasearch Initiative
- Task Group 1 - Access Management (Committee BA)
- Task Group 2 - Collection Description (Committee BB)
- Task Group 3 - Search/Retrieve (Committee BC)
- Physical Delivery of Library Resources Working Group
- SSO (Single Sign-on) Authentication Working Group