The NISO Information Creation & Curation Topic Committee was renewed by the NISO Board in June 2017 (and was originally formed as the Content and Collection Management Committee in early 2007 in response to a strategic restructuring). As part of NISO's organizational structure, topic committees that bring together leaders in specific subjects have been created to provide direction to the organization for standards development in those umbrella topic areas. The Creation & Curation Topic Committee focuses on issues regarding developing, describing, providing access to, and maintaining content items and collections. Specific topics include: Dublin Core, library binding, SAN, RFID, etc.
The topic committee is charged with the following tasks:
- Track standards development within NISO and in other standards organizations related to the topic.
- Identify where new standards may provide solutions in their specific area.
- Convene Thought Leader meetings to incubate new standards activities.
- Create and provide guidance and oversight to standards working groups under their purview.
- Manage the five-year reaffirmation process for approved standards.
- The work of this group is complemented by NISO's Information Policy & Analysis Topic Committee, Information Discovery & Interchange Topic Committee, and Architecture Committee.
The following NISO standards and standards-related works fall under the Information Creation & Curation Topic Committee. Please contact the committee if you have any suggestions for areas of focus or new work.
- E-Book Metadata Working Group
- Criteria for Indexes (Z39.4) Working Group
- E-Book Bibliographic Metadata Requirements in the Sale, Publication, Discovery, and Preservation Supply Chain (E-Book Metadata) Working Group
- JATS Standing Committee
- Manuscript Exchange Common Approach (MECA)
- PIE-J Standing Committee
- Standards-Specific Ontology Standard
- STS (Standard Tag Set)
- Taxonomy, Definitions, and Recognition Badging Scheme Working Group
- Video & Audio Metadata Guidelines Working Group
- Revision of ANSI/NISO Z39.18-2005, Scientific and Technical Reports - Preparation, Presentation and Preservation
- Revision of ANSI/NISO Z39.19-2005, Guidelines for the Construction, Format, and Management of Monolingual Controlled Vocabularies
- Revision of ANSI/NISO Z39.29-2005, Bibliographic References
- Revision of ANSI/NISO Z39.48-1992 (R2002), Permanence of Paper for Publications and Documents in Libraries and Archives
Existing standards and Recommended Practices:
- ANSI/NISO Z39.2-1994 (R2016), Information Interchange Format
- ANSI/NISO Z39.14-1997 (R2015), Guidelines for Abstracts
- ANSI/NISO Z39.23-1997 (S2015), Standard Technical Report Number Format and Creation
- ANSI/NISO Z39.32-1996 (R2012), Information on Microfiche Headers
- ANSI/NISO Z39.41-1997 (S2015), Printed Information on Spines
- ANSI/NISO Z39.43-1993 (R2011), Standard Address Number (SAN) for the Publishing Industry
- ANSI/NISO Z39.71-1999 (R2011), Holdings Statements for Bibliographic Items
- ANSI/NISO Z39.73-1994 (R2012), Single-Tier Steel Bracket Library Shelving
- ANSI/NISO Z39.78-2006 (R2010), Library Binding
- ANSI/NISO Z39.84-2005 (R2010), Syntax for the Digital Object Identifier
- ANSI/NISO Z39.85-2012, Dublin Core Metadata Element Set
- ANSI/NISO Z39.86-2005 (R2012), Specifications for the Digital Talking Book
- ANSI/NISO Z39.91-200x, Collection Description Specification - DSFTU
- ANSI/NISO Z39.96-2015, JATS: Journal Article Tag Suite
- ANSI/NISO Z39.98-2012, Authoring and Interchange Framework for Adaptive XML Publishing Specification
- Framework of Guidance for Building Good Digital Collections (Recommended Practice), 3rd edition (NISO/IMLS)
- NISO RP-6-2012, RFID in U.S. Libraries
- NISO RP-8-2008, Journal Article Versions (NISO/ALPSP)
- NISO RP-12-2012, Physical Delivery of Library Resources
- NISO RP-15-2013, Recommended Practices for Online Supplemental Journal Article Materials
- NISO RP-23-2015, Protocol for Exchanging Serial Content (PESC)