New Version of ODI Recommended Practice Now Available!
The latest Open Discovery Initiative Recommended Practice, NISO RP-19-2020, Open Discovery Initiative: Promoting Transparency in Discovery, was approved June 22 and published June 24, 2020.
ODI Overview Video Now Available
WHAT IS IT?
- A technical recommendation for data exchange including data formats, method of delivery, usage reporting, frequency of updates and rights of use
- A way for libraries to assess content providers’ participation in discovery services
- A model by which content providers work with discovery service vendors via fair and unbiased indexing and linking
- A way to disclose and assess open discovery conformance for content providers, discovery providers, and libraries
WHY SHOULD YOU USE IT?
- Simplifies the process of data exchange between participating discovery vendors and content providers
- Ensures participating discovery vendors are following fair and unbiased indexing and linking practices
- Mitigates technical and legal issues that might hinder broader participation by content providers or potential discovery service creators
- Allows libraries to understand how their licensed content is included in discovery systems
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
- Read the updated ODI Recommended Practice
- Download the conformance checklist template for your organization and complete it:
Publish your organization’s conformance statement and let ODI know its URL by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out our new brochure to quickly learn more about ODI!
Now available, guides for libraries to ensure discovery services discovery services meet institutional needs! Please see Information for Libraries to Increase ODI Conformance among Vendors and Configuring Content Providers!
Also available: Implementation Guide for Content Providers